How to Give
– Process for Obtaining Tax Credits
- Obtain the Preauthorization Form from the Compassion Foundation or the Virginia Department of Education website.
Submit the completed Preauthorization Form, by U.S. Mail, to the Virginia Department of Education: Virginia Department of Education, 25th Floor, Attn: Scholarship Tax Credit Program, P.O. Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120.
Within 30 days, the DOE will send you a Preauthorization Notice indicating your tax credits have been approved.
Return the Preauthorization Notice with your check or securities transfer information to the foundation within 180 days of the date of the Notice. (Preauthorization becomes void after 180 days.) Make checks payable to the Compassion Foundation (Memo: Scholarships Tax Credits).
– After You Have Made Your Donation…
- Within 20 days of receiving your gift, Compassion Foundation will:
- Send you an acknowledgement of receipt of your gift
- Send the DOE a notice that your gift payment has been received
- Within 30 days of receiving notice of payment, the DOE will issue your Tax Credit Certificate.
- The Tax Credit Certificate must be attached to the tax return in which the Credits are being claimed.
- Tax Credits may be claimed for the taxable year of the donation, and for up to five successive years.
– Administrative Costs
By statute, at least 90% of the donation must be used to provide scholarships. The Compassion Foundation may use up to 10% of the donation to cover the costs of administrating the scholarship program. Every effort will be made to minimize the administrative costs, in order to provide the maximum in scholarship support.